Re: Concerns with Accessibe joining W3C

On Sat, 29 May 2021 03:01:32 +1000, Karen Lewellen
<klewellen@shellworld.net> wrote:

> Has anyone ever surveyed what  the general public, or even members
> believe the role of the w3c to be?

W3C surveys its members from time to time, like any membership-based
organisation that is responsive to the needs and desires of the people who
choose to pay the bills.

I don't know of any global survey of the public perception, but I do know
that it would be hard. My experience in a few dozen countries is that
there are a wide range of misperceptions, along with a fair bit of
straight-out not knowing anything at all about W3C.

I have put my hand in my own pockets, and in my employers' pockets, many
times for W3C where I think it is a useful investment for the world or the
organisation - far more than where it is strictly a question of my or my
employers' obvious direct interests.

Changing the global perception of W3C isn't something I have ever
supported as a project to invest in. It is hard enough to ensure there is
a reasonable level of understanding at the critical levels like "how
should regulators approach W3C standards like WCAG?" or "who shouyld be
given direct funding to help participate in W3C because they cannot afford
it" (the answer is "far more people than we have ever supported, or can
imagine being able to" :( ).

I am very happy when people promote correct information about W3C, and
when they call out obvious misinformation. And I understand that there is
a direct cost associated with misinformation that doesn't get corrected.
But we don't live in a perfect world...

cheers