Re: Doubt about pdfs accessibility

On 13/05/2021 15:20, Duff Johnson wrote:
>> I'm talking about a text with a two-column layout: In the left column,
>> Spanish text is shown and, in the right column, you can find the same
>> text but in English; moreover, the text in each language runs from one
>> page to the following.
>> It is not a question about marking the language of each column, but
>> about reading order. Is there any method to allow users to read only
>> one of the languages and skip the other?
>
> Not as such. That said, there is no obligation to tag all the content
> together simply because it occurs on the same page. Therefore one option
> is to ignore the pages and simply tag all the content from one language,
> then the other langauge.

I think you need to consider the intent of the document.  It could be:

- for language learning in which case the same person might want to read
both texts at a paragraph, or more detailed level;

- legal type information for minority language users, in which case the
minority language reader only wants to see the minority language, but
the majority language reader would want to identify the majority
language paragraph for a particular concept, and then point out the
corresponding minority language paragraph, without actually being able
to read that;

- for use in a bi-lingual country where there is a requirement to
provide both languages, but people will normally get assistance from
their own language community.

The last case is where you would want to group the whole of one language
separately from the other.  The other case are more difficult.