RE: Doubt about pdfs accessibility

I think the reading order has to be an "or" situation - you can control the reading order in the tags structure to force it to be down the column or across - but you can't really have both.  The only exception might be if you were to change the tag order but not the content order and then override the accessibility settings somehow to force assistive technology to use the other order.  Another option could be to offer two documents one line by line and one ordered down the columns and then the user could choose.

Jonathan

From: Lleonart, Assumpta <assumpta.lleonart@icgc.cat>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:24 AM
To: 'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Doubt about pdfs accessibility

Hi, everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask my question. Anyway, I would appreciate your ideas and comments.

I have a question about pdfs accessibility:

In some publications, more than one language is used to provide the same information. This is not the simple case where, within a text in a specific language, there is a word or a phrase in another language. I'm talking about a text with a two-column layout: In the left column, Spanish text is shown and, in the right column, you can find the same text but in English; moreover, the text in each language runs from one page to the following.

It is not a question about marking the language of each column, but about reading order. Is there any method to allow users to read only one of the languages and skip the other?

Thanks for your help,

Assumpta Lleonart
Ārea d'Innovaciķ i Estratčgia Digital
Institut Cartogrāfic i Geolōgic de Catalunya

Parc de Montjuīc | E-08038 Barcelona | Tel. 93 567 15 00 (ext. 3108) | Fax 93 567 15 67
assumpta.lleonart@icgc.cat<mailto:assumpta.lleonart@icgc.cat> | www.icgc.cat<http://www.icgc.cat/> | facebook.com/ICGCat<http://www.facebook.com/ICGCat> | twitter.com/ICGCat<http://twitter.com/ICGCat>

[image002]