Von: Louise Lister <Louise.Lister@iop.org>
Datum: Donnerstag, 22. April 2021 um 10:23
An: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Betreff: Use of the fig caption element
Neu gesendet von: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Neu gesendet am: Donnerstag, 22. April 2021 um 10:18

Hello all,

I wondered what peoples’ thoughts were on use of the <figcaption> element and whether it’s a valid option in the accessible image armoury.

I was reading this article here: https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/figure-figcaption-extended-alternate-text-screen-readers/

Some of our images depict scientific processes or convey information that may need some text to assist understanding. The closest example to us that I can think of would be how NASA captions their images of objects in the solar system. Supplementary text is helpful for both sighted and blind to fully understand the photograph without disrupting the main page narrative.

We use a few ‘captions’ on our website but they’re not programmatically linked to the image in any way. Just some text next to the image in a smaller font.

I understand the need for the alt text and long description but does anyone else also use captions where appropriate?

Thank you!

Louise

This email (and attachments) are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient please immediately notify the sender, permanently and securely delete any copies and do not take action with it or in reliance on it. Any views expressed are the author's and do not represent those of IOP, except where specifically stated. IOP takes reasonable precautions to protect against viruses but accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from virus infection. For the protection of IOP's systems and staff emails are scanned automatically..

Institute of Physics. Registered charity no. 293851 (England & Wales) and SCO40092 (Scotland)
Registered Office:  37 Caledonian Road, London, N1 9BU<https://goo.gl/maps/DUHbKcbzuUN2>
Your privacy is important to us. For information about how IOP uses your personal data, please see our Privacy Policy<https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iop.org%2Fprivacy%2Findex.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7C6716aa3c6fd84da5102808d5c0b234a0%7Cf9ee42e6bad04e639115f704f9ccceed%7C0%7C0%7C636626793962820374&sdata=RI6OT4MumRlklNzF5i2M9ZxS6P%2FxxLg%2FJwcnMJ%2B0480%3D&reserved=0>