Re: { quick question } visual focus

Yes there are technologies beside the keyboard, mouse, and touch screen,
but most of them (e.g. voice command & control, switches, etc.) interact
with the browser & platform via the keyboard interface.

Quoting the Intent of the Success Criteria:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-visible.html

 ...“[a] mode of operation” accounts for user-agents [browsers] which may
not always show a focus indicator, or only show the focus indicator when
the keyboard is used. User agents may optimize when the focus indicator is
shown, such as only showing it when a keyboard is used. Authors are
responsible for providing at least one mode of operation where the focus is
visible. In most cases there is only one mode of operation so this success
criterion applies. The focus indicator must not be time limited, when the
keyboard focus is shown it must remain.
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
See the new IBM Equal Access toolkit and accessibility checker at
www.ibm.com/able
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Accessibility Executive
IBM Accessibility