Re: <article> & H1s

I think you are right about what would happen if there were multiple
snippets.

With a single item, I think instead of <article>you should use <main> and
the <h1> should indeed be inside it.

Even if you don't use <main> the <h1> should be inside the article for
which it provides the title, IMHO.

I don't know that you are over thinking this. An important question is how
landmark navigation interacts...

cheers