Re: Size of targets and use of header hierarchy in pop-up windows

On 08/09/2020 13:09, Wessel, Tim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as the e-mail subject suggests, I have trouble with two of the SC’s from
> the WCAG. SC 2.4.10 Section Headings and SC 2.5.5 Target Size.
>
> I’m working on a webpage where, after clicking on a link, a pop-up
> window appears with further information.

Assuming the popup is a modal, and assuming you're properly hiding the
page behind the modal, then in theory you could see this as a whole new
context and start with <h1> again.

Note that WCAG itself doesn't strictly mandate a specific heading order
per se, just that the hierarchical relationship is right (i.e. skipping
heading levels is not a hard failure, at least in most interpretations
of the SC I've come across). See for instance the discussion here
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/655 and this article
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2020/03/heading-off-confusion-when-do-headings-fail-wcag/

> Regarding the SC 2.5.5, I’m interested if the usage of an invisible
> plane that’s 44x44px and lies beneath the target conforms to the SC. I’m
> not sure whether the clickable area must be visible or not, so do I need
> any kind of Frame around it?

The clickable area does not have to be visible, no. So visually a target
can look smaller, as long as the *actual* clickable/tappable area is at
least 44x44px.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux