From: caroline <woodward.caroline@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 18. August 2020 at 01:27
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: { Flip Cards - Hover/Focus }
Resent from: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Resent date: Tuesday, 18. August 2020 at 01:22

Hi all,
What your thoughts are on the accessibility of flipcards.

The scenario I have in mind is when the title of the flipcard is initially displayed but flips over to reveal details when it gains focus or the user places their cursor over it.

What I don't like about it is that if the user magnifies their screen and doesn't use a screen reader that they don't have the opportunity to see what is initially displayed on the front and would have to undergo the exercise of navigating off and moving back on to obtain the details.

With text, there is a simple solution of including the title from front to the content that appears when the card id flipped. However, we have had a scenario where high level data was on the front of the flipcard and displayed a breakdown when the user hovered over it. I was able to push for the interaction to be initiated by the user pressing the enter/space key, instead of being triggered by the hover, but wondered if I could have approached this item differently.

Thanks for your thoughts :)