Re: Accessible captchas

Many captchas have by default a visual and audio version of a captcha. I took that for granted until I worked with a team that thought they were so clever by providing an image of the text “I am not a robot” with a checkbox, where the checkbox was not always in the same spot. It was an image without alt text. With no alternative audio option, the whole thing was problematic on multiple levels for accessibility. So if you’re gonna go to capture route, make sure you’ve got an audio and visual option available.

Jamie Herrera
Digital Accessibility Engineer

Sent from my iPhone