From: Mike Cleary <mike.cleary@grantsolutions.gov>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 10:27 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Question about proper use of screen readers in 508 testing

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

Hello,
I'm new to the discussion list and have a question about how much reliance should be accorded to screen readers like JAWS when reporting accessibility issues.

We have an internal testing team that uses JAWS for 508 testing. They are reporting accessibility issues in cases where JAWS reads all the content on screen, but does not recognize certain expand/collapse widgets as clickable links.

In a different case, they have filed a "critical" bug in cases where a button is read as "button button.." Using the button is no problem; their argument is that the duplicate listing is potentially confusing. I say that's a usability problem, not an accessibility issue and thus not critical.

My concern is that the testers are testing to the tool, not to accessibility guidelines. Am I mistaken? Is there any guidance on how much to rely upon a tool? Is there anything in WCAG 2.0 that speaks to this issue?

Mike

Scrum Master
GrantSolutions.gov