Re: Sight loss, orientation and mobility and metaphors for web navigation

I know people who rely solely on headings to navigate, but ignore the
heading levels because they are less reliable. Some people hate when
landmarks and regions are added to pages because they add audio graffiti to
navigate through. In addition, there is more than one way to teach and
learn Orientation & Mobility, including multiple cane travel techniques,
guide dog handlers, and those who rely on sighted guide or mobility aids.
All that to say, the useful parallels will vary from person to person.

There are overarching principles that can be discussed or applied
metaphorically, but you would dealing with generalities rather than
specific one-to-one relationships. For example, "it's like walking down the
street and all of a sudden your cane hits a barrier that's never been
there before" as a metaphor for hitting an accessibility issue in a
software upgrade - to me that is general but understandable. Comparing the
options in the links list to a 4-way actuated intersection with turn lanes
is specific and people (I for one) would miss the comparison to each other
because I would be focused on making the metaphor fit rather than accepting
it and understanding the next bit of information.