Re: Linking to non HTML Resources (PDF) (Word doc) etc.

You need to use labels that people understand. (Clear and simple language
is an accessibility requirement in itself - as recognised way back when we
made WCAG 1.0).

PDF is often known by that name or as a PDF document. Word documents and
Excel Spreadsheets are usually given the two word descriptions - but
"powerpoint" is used as a generic name IMHO - people refer to my HTML
slides as powerpoints. Although I suspect the trademark lawyers at
Microsoft would disagree.

In each case there is a wide variety of software that can work with the
format, and for most users they are set up to handle them by default, so
it isn't that complicated. (Servers are more often poorly configured, so
it's inconvenient, but that's a different question).

So I would have something like

   you could always find teh real data in the <a href="...">Excel
Spreadsheet of County Cowards</a> or read the excellent <a
href="...">summary report (PDF)</a> ...

cheers