From: Andrea Douglas [mailto:dougl361@umn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 17 January 2019 11:44 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Linking to non HTML Resources (PDF) (Word doc) etc.

I’m looking for guidance on linking to non-HTML resources in web pages, for example, pdfs, Word docs, Excel docs. Specifically, is it better to link to the format name (Word) or (Word doc) or (doc) or (docx) ?
It seems the link text for (pdf) is straightforward as it describes the_format_AND the file_extension_. However, other common links (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) the format (Word for example) is different from the file extension ( doc or docx for example).

Feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

For example:
County Resource (pdf)
County Resource (doc)

IMPORTANT
The information transmitted is for the use of the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, disclosure,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited and may result in
severe penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error
please notify the Privacy Hotline of the Australian Taxation
Office, telephone 1300 661 542 and delete all copies of this
transmission together with any attachments.