Re: Linking to non HTML Resources (PDF) (Word doc) etc.

IMO you should do both here; I would show the name of the document in the
content and use css psuedo-element selectors to drop the format type after
the document title, in the link.

Tying the name to the product is less than ideal for the multitude of
formats that can be created by more than one program.
..DOC/X in OpenOffice and LibreOffice and Google Drive.
..PDF is an (export) option in countless apps/software across the
web/desktop that are not created with an Adobe license.
Not to mention, what of formats with no claim, like .PNG, .CSV?

Regardless of user knowledge, it's the spirit of the Open Web to support
the user, and as such, limiting information in this way does not benefit
the user.
Furthermore, I believe this approach is part of the foundation we've built
for digital literacy, and has impeded our growth.
Every US .gov site has the same format notes/tips around documents,
specifically naming some/all of these: Office, Word, Excel, Reader,
Acrobat, and WinZIP
for handling formats.
Whilst providing free advertising to vendors, gov is doing citizen users an
incredible disservice by not providing alternative paths.

J. Albert Bowden II

albert@bowdenweb.com
jalbertbowden@gmail.com
https://bowdenweb.com/ <http://bowdenweb.com/>