RE: Would incorrectly implemented landmarks constitute a WCAG failure?

Many organizations seem to flag multiple nav elements without accessible names as it can be difficult to tell without vision which nav is which especially when they are at the same section level.  I think I've also seen folks flagging multiple asides within the same section if they don't have accessible names.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Hellbusch <jan@hellbusch.de>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:41 AM
To: 'Lisa Louise Davis (Aquent LLC)' <v-lidav@microsoft.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Would incorrectly implemented landmarks constitute a WCAG failure?

> Is there any kind of landmark failure that you'd consider a hard WCAG failure?

* Incorrect markup would be something like coding a navigation bar as <main> or using <header> for content, where the actual header (<h1> ...) is somewhere else.
* Using more than one <header> and/or <footer> for a sectioning or root element.

Besides that, there are a couple of other issues, which may cause problems, but are not necessarily violations:

* unnecessary nesting, e.g.
<nav><nav>
... list of links ...
</nav></nav>
* Identical labelling or not labelling identical elements (mostly <nav> and <aside>). There may be exceptions when two or more regions contain identical content.
* I would also consider omitting content from any region a problem in certain situations. All content should be contained in a region. There may be exceptions.

Jan

--
Hellbusch Accessibility Consulting
Chemnitzer Str. 50, 44139 Dortmund