From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, 29 November 2018 1:07 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: ARIA and Jaws question

My reasoning is that Chrome exhibits far more adverse behaviours than either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Until recently, Chrome was not usable at all with JAWS, and they are still catching up. I cannot think of any occasion where it has performed better than the other browsers - it's either the same or worse.

I rarely experience any problems with Internet Explorer, but I only use JAWS for testing websites, not for everyday use. For the most part I find Internet Explorer works at least as well as Firefox, although it is lacking in support for some of the newer HTML elements and attributes.

I agree with you regarding the need for baked-in controls, with the caveat that browsers must allow them to be styled as designers wish. If that doesn't happen, and you can almost guarantee that Safari won't, the new controls won't be used. The same applies to existing elements - if you could style radio buttons, checkboxes and comboboxes any way you want, we wouldn't have all the terrible replacement techniques that most developers (and especially JavaScript framework developers) get wrong.

I have yet to see a complex widget implemented in an accessible manner. Some are theoretically accessible if you understand the interaction model, ensure your screen reader is in the correct mode and don't accidentally press the wrong key. I don't regard that as acceptable, but it's as good as it gets right now.

Steve