Re: Bold vs Strong

Patrick,
thanks for quoting the HTML 5.2 definition of  <strong> and <b>, which I
agree is not worth it to nitpick/hairsplit about these definitions
which supports my argument that semantically they are (without
nitpick/hairsplitting) the same relevant to SC 1.3.1.

and I agree that alone, it isn't a very strong argument that ?<b> hasn?t
been deprecated, and there?s no failure technique explicitly forbidding
its
use?, but my point was to explain that the failure technique provide no
guidance on the issue (so why reference it?), and my suggestion to the
community is to create such missing explicit guidance.  But I'm strongly
suggesting that a technique that explicitly forbids the use of <b>, would
itself be misguided until <b> has been deprecated.

otherwise, coming from my screen reader development days (OS/2, Java, and
Home Page Reader), the silly debate and worse, misinterpretation will
continue.

Does anyone disagree that guidance (either way) needs to be documented in
a WCAG technique (or equivalent), so it can be referenced?
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility

linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/
ibm.com/able
twitter.com/IBMAccess