Re: Bold vs Strong

Duff said:
make such documents far harder - in principle -  for AT users to read, no?
Here?s a (slightly hacked for effect) example:

"If IT is present and its value is not Stamp, it's Name shall not be
present. "

I am not and I do not think others are suggesting substituting bold with
italics ,
        <b> for <i>, or
        <strong>> for <em>

so even in your hacked example, the distinction remains substituting <b>
The accessibility issue, meaning success criteria, is more about semantic
equivalence, not visual presentation equivalence.  In other words, there
is not requirement that all headings look visually the same, for example,
just that one use the semantic heading <h1> element to identify the
heading that the author intended to be identified by the reader as is in
fact a heading without reference to the visual rendering alone.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility