RE: Assistive Technology Detection

I like and subscribe to the idea of a "responsive design" in the digital
world, which is very different in my mind than the analogy of a universal
designed physical world.
   "responsive designs" can adjust and reflow to device, environment, and
user settings and preferences.
   "universal designs" in the physical world have curb cuts on all
sidewalks or get rid of curbs altogether, have ramps for everyone instead
of stairs, common height and width standards for knobs and doorways, etc.

But "universal design", is a kind of one size fits most philosophy in my
opinion.  The feature does not dynamically change or adjust when there are
still conflicts that arise, such as whether the detectable truncated domes
on curb cuts benefit the blind user while annoying the heck out of the
wheelchair user. To be able to adopt the "responsive design" paradigm, we
as a community need to be specific about what lies in the realm of the
content and app developer's responsibility, and what is in the realm of
the user agent (browser and  assistive technology).   Sure there are
slippery slopes, but the W3C has had both the WCAG and UAAG spec in place
for over a decade.  We as a community 1. need to push for the adoption of
UAAG more, 2 and better define the role between AT and the browser itself.
 .

The so called "responsive design" that reflows to meet 3 screen
breakpoints paradigm seems to me to be more analogous to designing to meet
more, a 3 sizes fits more paradigm.  A comprehensive web solution needs to
be more of a 'One Size fits One" paradigm because we're talking "digital"
technology that can be responsive and has many stakeholders.

asking the question "I was wondering if there is any way to detect whether
a user is using blah blah blah" is the wrong question.  That is putting
the wrong responsibility on the web site developer. Coding and testing to
only 3 breakpoints in "responsive design" will work 3 times, until the
users zooms 200% and is using the tablet strapped to a wheelchair in fix
portrait mode becasue the user has both mobility impairments and low
vision.

There are 5 or 6 stake holders in the considerations for an accessible
expereince comprehensive web solution:
1. the technology owner: HTML, SVG, PDF, etc. - is it even enabled?
2. the standards owner: WCAG, UAAG, ARIA, etc. - is the situation covered?
3. the web site developers - it is compliante with the WCAG standards?
4. the browser owners: Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc.- is it compliant with
UAAG standard?
5. the Assistive Technology owners: NVDA, ZoomText, browser plug-in
developers, etc. - does it support the standard implementation?
6. the end-users themselves that have been assessed and training on how to
improve their settings and preferences to meet their needs?

See the diagram at Essential Components of Web Accessibility, it should
probably be renamed the essential stakeholders in an accesible web
solutiuon:

So the better question to ask is "Where best does the issue need to be
solved?" with which of the 6 stake holders? and NOT by web developers
asking if they can detect the presence of AT and/or end user settings.
Perhaps there is (or will be) consensus that having all web developers
detect the screen width (phone, tablet, desktop) and then have their
designs reflow is required becasue it is the best place for that part of
the solution, and, then they still need to "work" in 200% zoom, still work
without color, etc. to be complaint with WCAG as their part of their
responsibilities as stakeholders in the accessible web solutions
ecosystem.

Patti,
what was the specific issue or challenge that was trying to be solved when
the question came up?

Oh, by the way, the questions to ask and the best answers can change over
time.  For example, now that speech recognition is implemented in most all
the platforms, is it better to redesign the app to work with voice
interaction, or is it simply better to allow the addition of the
microphone mode to input text into form fields so that the UX is familiar
across all the apps on the platform/device?

Although I personally have had challenges trying to use the same app on a
different platforms.  Have you ever switched from Windows to a Mac, or
iPhone to an Android phone?  and then tried to be as proficient on Word or
e-mail?  I call that "leanability" not "accessibility.
__________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPATŪ at  able.ibm.com/request
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/
ibm.com/able
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility