RE: Assistive Technology Detection

Here’s a two-step answer: 1) Not yet, although the accessible object model will likely allow this when it is implemented. 2) It’s a slippery slope that should be navigated thoughtfully and carefully. If you want to deliver equivalent experiences to all users, detecting some and shunting them to an alternate experience is not the best way to do that. Since ensuring accessibility generally improves overall usablility, you would want to incorporate accessibility in the application/website, and not in some accessible ghetto.

From: Patti Burke Lund [mailto:pburkelund@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:04 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Assistive Technology Detection

Hello Everyone! I had a question come in today from a student. I'm hoping this group might be able to provide some insight...

Question:
"I understand accessibility needs to be integrated into every aspect of your website. I was wondering if there is any way to detect whether a user is using support for their disability and then adjust your website to support them even more? Kind of similar to the way Responsive Web Design detects browser window size then adjusts accordingly?"

Thank you!

Best,
Patti

Patti Burke Lund
Colorado State University | Journalism & Media Communication
patricia.burke-lund@colostate.edu<mailto:patricia.burke-lund@colostate.edu> | pburkelund@yahoo.com<mailto:pburkelund@yahoo.com> | www.colostate.edu<http://www.colostate.edu>
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/pburkelund/>