Re: Are "notes" normative or informative in WCAG 2.0?

On 18/05/2018 16:22, Glenda Sims wrote:
> Can you clarify if  a "note"  inside a normative section of WCAG 2.0 is
> normative or informative?  If a "note" is only informative, where is
> that documented?
>
> I'm pretty sure I've heard that anything in a "note" is not normative.
> But I can't point to anything that makes that crystal clear.
> And...perhaps, I'm wrong.

I believe you're both right.

The documents known as W3C Notes (as opposed to W3C Technical Reports
(TR)) are informative. The Understanding WCAG2.0 is a W3C Note, and so
it is entirely informative.

W3C TR documents have both normative and informative content, and the
type of content is clearly marked for each section. The notes included
under some SC (like the one under SC1.4.2) are not marked as
informative, and so should be considered normative.

> Can you help settle this debate between Wilco and me?

Hope this helps.

--
@LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe Carpe diem