From: Aleta Moses [mailto:aletamoses@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:23 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Color contrast question - button background

Hi there,

I have a question about button color contrast.

I am familiar with success criterion 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): The visual presentation of text<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#textdef> and images of text<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#images-of-textdef> with a contrast ratio<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#contrast-ratiodef> of at least 4.5:1, for normal text.

However I have been told by colleagues recently that there is also a requirement for button color contrast  with the background that it is placed on.

If there is insufficient color contrast using 4.5:1 between a button and its background , would this be considered an accessibility failure? Or is text and background colour sufficient?

If there is a requirement, is there any instruction that would apply it to some buttons and not others, or should it be applied to all on a site?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aleta
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking any action in reliance on these contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.