Color contrast question - button background

From: Aleta Moses <aletamoses@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:22:32 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi there,

I have a question about button color contrast.

I am familiar with success criterion *1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum):* The visual
presentation of text <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#textdef> and images of
text <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#images-of-textdef> with a contrast ratio
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#contrast-ratiodef> of at least 4.5:1, for
normal text.

However I have been told by colleagues recently that there is also a
requirement for button color contrast  with the background that it is
placed on.

If there is insufficient color contrast using 4.5:1 between a button and
its background , would this be considered an accessibility failure? Or is
text and background colour sufficient?

If there is a requirement, is there any instruction that would apply it to
some buttons and not others, or should it be applied to all on a site?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aleta