Re: [breadcrumbs] best practice

On 17/11/2017 09:43, Harry Loots wrote:
> Hi all
> what is the current thinking on breadcrumbs.
>
> I have a situation where a client want to display the page name in the
> breadcrumb, then repeat the page name immediately afterwards as a
> heading, which I know can be a nuisance for text-to-speech users.

I'd say across all the things that can be problematic/nuisance on web
pages, that's a pretty minor thing. I'd further argue that even if the
text is repeated, it does serve two separate purposes: in the breadcrumb
navigation, to indicate this is the current page; as a heading, to,
well, act as heading for the actual page's content.

In short, don't think it's an actual problem.

> Are their any firm rules on breadcrumbs, or strong views for that matter :)

No firm rules, as with most things in accessibility *grin*

And as is often the case, it'll depend on the specific situation (i.e.
how is the breadcrumb actually marked up? how long are these page titles
- a few words, or as long as a whole sentence - etc).

Patrick H. Lauke