Re: upgrading standard browsers UI

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 12:05:54 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 06/09/17 06:21, Sean Murphy (seanmmur) wrote:
> This is a long shot and just a thought. Does anyone know if W3C
> standards or the browser vendors are going to expand the current default
> UI elements from the current one’s? My thinking is including a  menu,
> treeview, slider, toolbar, etc.?

HTML has not been controlled by W3C for many years now.

My reading of the philosophy at the time they lost control is that most
of these are presentational variations on HTML lists, so should not be
reflected in HTML.

Whilst WHATWG seems to see HTML as a GUI platform, rather than a
document markup language, the issue they might have is that one of their
primary tenets is that pages (whether compliant or not) should look and
behave the same on all browsers.  That would mean that such controls
would need to replace any similar controls provided by the underlying
GUI platform.