Re: WCAG 2.0 and EN 301 549

Hi,

On 20-Sep-16 18:27, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20/09/2016 16:29, Olaf Drümmer wrote:
>> While ETSI carried out the development of EN 301 549, it actually is a
>> CEN standard - so CEN would have the last word about this.
>
> The 2014 [1] and the April 2015 versions [2] available from ETSI have
> CEN, CENELEC and ETSI on the cover page, since the EC mandate (Mandate
> 376) went to all three of these standardisation bodies.
> The copyright notification mentions CEN, CENELEC and ETSI as copyright
> holders, so the claim that it is exclusively a CEN standard is
> incorrect.  (The European Commission wanted the standard to be published
> by ETSI so it would be available free of charge.)

Agree, this is my understanding as well.

> However, I don't know what the process would be when WCAG 2.0 gets updated:
>
> * Would the Join Working Group (CEN/CLC/ETSI/JWG eAcc) update EN 301
> 549? (Without a new mandate?)
> * Would W3C submit the new version to ISO? This would indirectly allow
> acceptance as a CEN standard, since CEN and ISO have the "Vienna
> Agreement", which allows, among other things, the "adoption of existing
> international standards as European standards" [3]. (W3C was recognised
> as a "PAS Submitter" by ISO in 2010 [4]; I am not aware of anything
> similar between W3C and CEN.)

As far as I know, EN 301 549 references WCAG 2.0 directly rather than
ISO/IEC 40500. Here is the relevant text from Clause 9:

[[
The web content requirements in clause 9.2 set out all of the Level A
and Level AA Success Criteria from the W3C Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) [4]

NOTE 2: WCAG 2.0 is identical to ISO/IEC 40500 (2012): "Information
technology - W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0" [4].

[4] W3C Recommendation (11 December 2008)/ISO/IEC 40500:2012: "Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0". NOTE: Available at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/.
]]

The EN also "contains" an electronic copy of WCAG 2.0 in Annex A.

I understand there are explorations to update the EN. Hopefully future
versions will continue to be aligned with W3C resources.

Information about WCAG WG and how to join is available here:
  - https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/

Best,
   Shadi