SC 1.3.1 and virtual columns

From: Oscar Cao <oscar.cao@live.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 08:44:45 +1100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello fellow interest group members.

I would like to know what the interest group's views/opinions are in regards
to SC 1.3.1 and the following scenario.

The page has a three column layout (not created using tables). There's a
'box container of information', it has been positioned via CSS to appear in
the virtual third column. However, in the source code, it sits at the very
start of the content section, see code below:

<section>

<!-- box container of information -->

<!-- column one -->

<!-- column two -->

<!-- column three -->

</section>

The box container information is self-contained and will make sense wherever
you place it. Thus, I didn't bring up SC 1.3.2 (that talks about sequence).
However, I am unsure if the positioning of the box information breaks SC
1.3.1. in regards to not being able to programmatically determine the visual
position/location of the box container. Sighted users see it in column
three, while AT users see it as the first thing.

Regards

Oscar