Re: "Bypass Blocks" Question

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 16:28:05 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 08/07/2015 15:59, Rakesh wrote:
> Hello Mandana,
>
> Though I personally recommend having Skip link, it is sufficient to
> have any one of the following.
> 1. Skip link.
> 2. Proper heading structure.
> 3. Proper ARIA landmarks.

2 and 3 may be regarded as "sufficient" in terms of passing the letter
of WCAG 2.0, but - as already noted - they do not help keyboard users
without AT that supports additional navigation shortcuts based on
headings/landmarks.

For this reason, when auditing, I'd usually give sites that just use 2
or 3 a nominal PASS for 2.4.1, but then explicitly advise to still use 1
as well.

Patrick H. Lauke