From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 10:28 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: "Bypass Blocks" Question

On 08/07/2015 15:59, Rakesh wrote:
> Hello Mandana,
>
> Though I personally recommend having Skip link, it is sufficient to
> have any one of the following.
> 1. Skip link.
> 2. Proper heading structure.
> 3. Proper ARIA landmarks.

2 and 3 may be regarded as "sufficient" in terms of passing the letter of WCAG 2.0, but - as already noted - they do not help keyboard users without AT that supports additional navigation shortcuts based on headings/landmarks.

For this reason, when auditing, I'd usually give sites that just use 2 or 3 a nominal PASS for 2.4.1, but then explicitly advise to still use 1 as well.

Patrick H. Lauke