Re: Auto-Tabbing - Is this ever allowed?

Phill,
I disagree.
auto tabbing in my understanding is having a phone number input with 3
fields. when you type 3 digit in the first field (which is its max size)
the focus is automatically moved to the next field. The user did nothing
except type 3 digits.
I tab through form fields. On a form with autotab, unless I pay close
attention, I skip fields because I hit tab to move to the next field.
Autotab breaks my behavior model for interacting with forms.

Also, If you hit enter in a form, the submit button is generally fired. I
have seen a few forms where you must explicitly tab into (focus) a submit
button in order to hit enter on it, but those are very few.

Jumping to the first field of a form (skipping title, instructions, etc.)
when entering a page seems like poor usability for screen reader users and
keyboard users. You enter a page, you are immediately placed in a form,
when you hit tab you go to the next field. What happened to all the page
navigation? What if I went to the page because it has other information
other than the form? Then as a user, I must exit the form, reorient myself
to the page, and now I can complete my task. That's a hassle.

Jim

--
[image: http://www.tsbvi.edu] <http://www.tsbvi.edu>Jim Allan,
Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster