RE: Auto-Tabbing - Is this ever allowed?

I would not label this as "auto-tabbing", but simply optimized keyboard
navigation.  We all want a better user experience.

Example scenario: so placing the input focus in an input field when the
page loads is a best practice because all users can simply begin typing
and the input filed will receive the keystrokes, no extra tabbing or arrow
keys needed, or gestures required = better user experience.  If the a user
wants the label to be spoken as well, then that is an AT setting or
configuration since WCAG already has the provision for associating the
label with the input field.  After the user types the input and then
presses enter (or SpaceBar) it would also be a best practice for the web
page/app to move the input focus to the next input element in the form.
Note that I do not consider that auto-tabbing since the focus only moves
after the user presses enter to complete the input step.

What some call auto-scanning, as is typical for AT the allows
auto-scanning of on screen keyboards is useful for some, but not all user
with disabilities.  So  auto-scanning should be user or AT configurable. I
would rarely (never?) recommend that the web app developer provide the
auto-scanning since it could (would?) conflict with the platform or more
commonly, the user's AT settings.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Accessibility