Re: Auto-Tabbing - Is this ever allowed?

I agree with you, because your example doesn't include the "enter" key
that I mentioned.  If that is what you describe as "auto-tabbing" then I
agree.  My definition included a step to enter the input.  Your scenario
of a user simply entering 3 digits and then the app auto-moves the focus
is a problem for everyone!

My scenario was simply trying to remove the need for additional
keypresses, so if the tab key,  instead of enter, is the preferred way to
move the focus when the user's input is complete, then we also agree.

However, regarding the default focus being placed in the entry field, I
think we need to separate learning and exploring a page from efficiently
operating it.  For example.  do you seriously want me to have to tab to
the user-ID entry field of a log-in page, or wouldn't you agree that the
keyboard input focus should be placed by default into user-ID field?
Designing a page or form for efficient keyboard input and navigation is
the goal, especially if it is frequently used vs a scenario where the user
is learning and orienting themselves to use the app/page for the first
time.  And, remember too that keyboard focus is not the same as the point
of regard where the screen reader reading cursor might be reading.  If
there is "other information other than the form", then I do not think
you're talking about moving the keyboard focus to read that information,
but I agree navigation links and buttons would still need to be in the
logical tab order.  There are also other standard keys for jumping to the
bottom of the page, or to the top.  I still remember the early days of
wanna-be developers redundantly adding a "skip to bottom of page" skip nav
link.   I understand that JAWS and some screen readers have separate
"forms mode", but most are getting better at understanding where the
keyboard focus is at and where to place the reading focus, and which mode
to be in when.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Accessibility