RE: deeply nested headings

Hi, just to clarify, the use of ARIA in this manner actually is technically correct according to spec, in that the ARIA role and level supersedes the native HTML markup as represented in the Accessibility Tree. So it will change the feedback as desired by modifying the role and level in the same manner as when applied to a Div or Span.

So I wouldn’t say that it’s a misuse of ARIA, when there is no such element as <h7>, even if this rarely occurs. There are also instances where the level of a structure may begin with classic headings, but due to formatting constraints, it is necessary to skip a level and add this via ARIA instead to ensure the proper order.

An example of this can be seen at

http://whatsock.com/tsg/

Where the main section headings such as “AccDC API” and “Accessible Component Modules” are traditional H2 elements, however the toggle buttons are contained within a DT element that includes role=heading + aria-level=”3” to ensure the proper level association with the expandable sections. This is not a misuse of ARIA.

Last I checked, role=heading plus an associated level was supported as far back as JAWS11 in IE8, and is fully supported across all ATs that support ARIA including NVDA and VoiceOver. This is actually one of the most widely supported roles in the ARIA suite.