Re: quick wacg 2.0 question?

On Jun 15, 2014, at 6:44 PM, David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> The actual wording is probably not used in current standards, but it is fairly clearly implied by <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#ensure-compat> although the detailed rules are not sufficient to fully achieve the headline goal.

Yes it is implied by Guideline 4.1 Compatible: Maximize compatibility with current and future user agents, including assistive technologies.

However, that is a guideline  - not a requirement.   It is, as David points out - a general goal.  But Guidelines are not requirements of WCAG.   They are goals - that are not achievable for all content for all users - but do help you to understand what the Success Criteria are striving toward.

Only the success criteria are requirements  (and the conformance requirements) .

Gregg

PS it is also pointed to by Principle 4: Robust - Content must be robust enough that it can be interpreted reliably by a wide variety of user agents, including assistive technologies.
But again this is a general principle — and not a requirement.