From: Michael Gower [mailto:michael.gower@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012 4:10 AM
To: Steve Faulkner
Cc: Ramón Corominas; WAI Interest Group; Diane V Margaretos; David Best
Subject: Re: Using aria-labelledby instead of <label> element

We have recently used both techniques to give remediation advice to a client
with something very similar where radio buttons were located in each cell.
Both aria-labelledby and the use of title appear to function fine with
keyboard and screen reader. We recommended using the aria technique unless
backward compatibility was an issue. One point of consideration is whether
your "data table" is really a data table in this context, or if it is
actually a presentation table that is using the col and row headers as
labels. That may seem like a fine distinction, but housing inputs in a data
table can potentially affect the behaviour of some assistive technologies.

Michael Gower
i b m  i n t e r a c t i v e
1803 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3