Re: Sign language video alternative

Hi Eric,

At 16:50 20-2-2012, Velleman, Eric wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have a short video where you just see a deaf person say something
>in sign language. There is no sound and the background is a white
>wall. There are no undertitles so I have no idea what he is saying.
>Do I need captions and/or audiodescription?

I think you need at least:
(1) a text alternative that provides "descriptive identification of
the non-text content" (SC 1.1.1, point 2);
(2) "Either an alternative for time-based media or an audio track is
provided that presents equivalent information for prerecorded
video-only content." (SC 1.2.1, point 2).
You can ignore the second requirement only if the "video is a media
alternative for text and is clearly labeled as such" (SC 1.2.1).

Providing captions won't help blind users (I'm not aware of AT that
can read out captions, especially open captions). Audiodescription
(not required by SC 1.2.1) or another kind of audio track (one of the
options in SC1.2.1) won't help deafblind users. So you would need to
provide "correctly sequenced text descriptions" (see definition of
"alternative for time-based media").

Best regards,

Christophe

PS: How does a user know the video is really of a deaf person using
sign language and not, e.g., a sighted user mimicking sign language?
;-) What is the context of the video?

--
Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442