RE: UPDATE suggested alternatives to accessible version

I do agree that this doesn't seem like a good practice, but I wonder whether this is an issue with the browser more than the web page.  Of course, if browsers don't do certain things we avoid depending on them, but that doesn't get browsers off the hook entirely.  I wondered if the experience for a keyboard user would be better than for a mouse user, and at least in Firefox when I tab (I haven't tried anything else) the window does scroll to off-screen focusable objects, but not quite enough.  For the links on the far right they aren't brought fully into view, which makes this at least in part a browser issue.

Regarding a failure of 1.4.8, this shouldn't trigger a failure because there is a mechanism available to allow access to the page content, in this case for Firefox it is to turn off support for CSS.  I don't think that it is desirable to rely on users turning off style sheets, but I don't think that this is non-compliant with WCAG 2.0 1.4.8.

AWK

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:41 AM
To: Carla De Winter; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: UPDATE suggested alternatives to accessible version

Carla,

Correct and that is where we indicate a failure for this also, although for me it happens with 800x600 without zooming.  So from what you are saying 1.4.8 assumes a standard screen resolution and anything less is then considered zooming?   I suppose a standard screen resolution would also need to be defined for different devices based on the technology stack.    I'm trying to think of cases where zooming would act different from a lower resolution to determine if an additional requirement would be needed but I can't think of one.  If anyone knows of any I'd be interesting of hearing about it.

Jonathan