Re: Null alt tags for decorative images - Technique H67

On 04/11/2011 10:53, Ramón Corominas wrote:
> The whole graphic design conveys many "intentional" informatiin. Colour and typography can be used to convey modern/classic identity; visual spaces and disposition can convey relaxing, agressive or stressing moods; circles and squares convey different meanings; and of course most logos are designed to convey subbtle (or evident) information about the company and its purpose.
>
> So... Should we put all those "intentional clues" in plain text?

You would try to convey the same "feel" in all mediums, as much as it's
possible.

> For me, "decorative" means "all that stuff that can be completely ignored without losing any relevant information AND, if left, will be more annoying and disturbing than useful to the screen reader user".

Again, I ask: what should we do then? There is a reasonable cut-off
point beyond which we have to make a judgement call about what
information can and can't be represented purely in text (so we don't end
up at the other extreme, where every single visual detail is verbosely
conveyed in alt text, or in a longdesc "the company logo, a stylised
apple with a chunk bitten out of it, in plain grey on a white
background, conveying...")

Again, dependent on context (if it's a site that focuses on logo
designs, then perhaps the above IS appropriate...but maybe not if I'm
just going to a site to buy a cable for my smartphone)

Patrick H. Lauke