Re: SV: Color coding

Hello, Gregg.

For me (user with low vision due to retinitis pigmentosa), most of these
small icons are almost "invisible" or noticeable. Most of the "new
window" icons I've seen are so small that it's impossible to distinguish
them near the link text. Most of them have also bad contrast, and many
of them completely dissapear when you switch to high contrast settings,
because they are designed thinking in a white background. Additionally,
some of them are confusing and do not represent very well the fact that
they will open a new window. Only my previous experience on this type of
behaviour will do the trick and alert me that this is a "new window
icon", but not the icon itself.

And if you use more than one type of icon (one for new windows, another
one for word, another one for PDF, another to print the page, provide a
sound version, e-mail the article, etc.), then I will not be able to
easily distinguish between all of them and will miss important information.

Of course, colour coding is not enough, and small icons are better, but
"icon only" solutions (at least as they are now) are not perfect.