Re: Best practices for screen readers

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:30:12 -0700, John Foliot - WATS.ca <foliot@wats.ca>
wrote:

> "Foobar website, which is greater than website policies, which is
> greater than privacy policy"
>
> That's not wrong is it?

Well, it depends on foobar.com, of course. But in principle no...

> DaveP said:
>> I think the best approach for
>> now at least is to provide a semantically rich environment that is
>> machine readable and let the ATs decide how to handle it.
>
> Total agreement here, although a best practices in this area (breadcrumb
> navigation) would be nice to have... (as John goes off thinking to
> himself...)

Yes. At the very least, of course, use the link element. It doesn't
provide a nested breadcrumb trail, but it does provide links to the
important parts of the site in a way that allows the browser to make a
consistent method for using it.

(As my good friend John has said in the past...)

> David's response is (IMHO) the best way:  mark things up in a
> semantically rich (structural... I already fouled up there once  from
> this thread) way, *AND LEAVE IT TO THE A T TO FIGURE THINGS OUT*.
>
> We have reached the point where informed developers generally understand
> that "fluid" or "elastic" layouts are the optimum because it leaves it
> to *the browser to figure things (the layout) out* - so too developers
> should be thinking in this vein when considering Adaptive Technology.
>
> And so to return to your analogy - no it is wrong to have wheelchair
> users go to the back of the building and be trucked into the restaurants
> via the service lift, but I posit that it is equally disheartening to
> have a "special" wheelchair door at the front of the building too...
> Well though out buildings should be designed so that wheelchair users
> can use *any* door.

Amen...

cheers

Chaals