Re: a single label where multiple fields follow

Could you wrap the label around all of the inputs?

A guess only
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Poehlman
  To: Antony Tennant
  Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:17 PM
  Subject: Re: a single label where multiple fields follow

  title is not adaquuately supported by at and many browsers.

  On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Antony Tennant wrote:

  Hi

  I would like to get some opinions on the best practise for assigning
  <label for""> to inputs where there are multiple inputs for example
  for telephone numbers, sort codes, credit card numbers. I have had a
  look at the friends of ed book "Web Accessibility" and my
  understanding is that the title attribute should be used for the
  additional fields and <th> where possible.

  Picking examples from websites, what would the best approach be
  (assume the fields cannot be changed to a single field)

  For a credit card entry that is split across 4 fields, what would be
  placed in the following titles where below there is "????"
  <label for"creditcard">credit card number</label><input type="text"
  id ="creditcard" title="first 4 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text"
  title="????">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="????">&nbsp;<input
  type="text"  title="????">

  For a telephone number, would this be acceptable ie the label to the
  first field that has a title and the sceond field with a title.
  <label for"telephone">telephone number</label><input type="text" id
  ="telephone" title="area code">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="local
  number">

  For a bank sort code
  <label for"sortcode">sort code</label><input type="text" id
  ="sortcode" title="first 2 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text"
  title="middle 2 digits">&nbsp;<input type="text" title="last 2 digits">

  Any further guidence would be appreciated

  Thanks

  Antony