RE: Legal Precedent Set for Web Accessibility

David Woolley wrote:

> It seems to me to be a major defeat, as it means that no US
> e-business need have an accessible web site, as long as they refrain
> from operating physical retail outlets.  Yet another perceived cost
> in physical retail that is avoided by going online only.

Perhaps, but those brick and mortar business that do compete in the web
space will have more accessible, thus hopefully (probably) more
user-friendly (thus busier and more profitable) sites... So the web-only
businesses will need to stay caught up, for simply business reasons.  I
can't see Target, or other large US businesses closing their stores just so
that they can continue to have inaccessible web sites... Defies logic.

> I think that is because "web designers" see themselves as artists (or
> just possibly marketeers), not as communicators.

Heh heh heh...

> One of the things that is drilled into creative people in a business
> is that you must never provide value that is not required, as the
> company can always charge extra for it if a customer requires it.
> It's part of what is called "commercial awareness".

Man, you must have had some really negative business experiences... Not
every business is as Machiavellian as you make out... Many actually do
embrace creativity and encourage their people to step up and provide "value
added" (heck, I didn't make up that phrase, so it *does* exist).

Just last week for example, my 2 daughters were shopping in a well known
make-up chain (they are teens after all), and after spending 45 minutes, but
less than $20.00 each, they were handed eyeliner pencils (or some such) on
their way out... Why? Because they were interested, enthusiastic, but
poor... They couldn't afford everything they wanted, but were keen
none-the-less.  The sales woman made an $8.00 decision that won her two
converted customers... She knows (as do I) that they well return, and often.
David, you need to read more than just Dickens <grin>.

JF