RE: Find as you type for navigation

Hello Jesper!

I like your site and very much appreciated your recent article on 404 messages.  I have also been following this discussion.

Below, you well articulate the interaction and expected behavior, but I must respectfully disagree with your characterization that this is how things *should* work.  The Windows behavior is quite reasonable and useable.  However, it is not the only reasonable and useable behavior, and I believe an assertion that said behavior is best is not indisputable.

Alternative algorithms, such as the find-as-you-type method used in OS X for menus, Spotlight, Safari, and numerous other places in the OS is very legitimate.  The OS X approach has a few advantages over the first-letter-only-repeat-as-necessary used on the Windows desktop.

1) One can confidently enter the accelerator keys.  There is no need to press a letter, pause and figure out if one has the right item selected, repeat.  As you argue, the OS X method is probably more typing most of the time, but it may well be faster much of the time in spite of the extra characters.

2) Both methods are about the same when exploring an unfamiliar territory, but the OS X method lets one skip through spurious results faster.  The Windows method requires one to cycle through an entire list, remembering the first item, before one can be confident all the candidate choices have been revealed.

3) The OS X method is consistent for all lists.  Windows uses the method you describe for navigating the desktop, but uses an algorithm similar to OS X for populating the type-ahead buffer with IE.

4) Depending on the labels being search, the OS X method can be much faster.  An obvious situation is a list with many items starting with the same letter, but few with the same second letter.

As with many UI behaviors, it probably comes down to personal preference.  I regularly move between Windows and OS X and find-as-you-type on the latter feels faster, but perhaps it is just the OS keeping me busy?

Just my two bits on an esoteric subject.

Best regards,
Bruce