From: "David Dorward" <david@dorward.me.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 5:51 AM
Subject: Re: Short and long descriptions for links

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:35:23AM -0500, Matthew J. Giustino wrote:

>  Lets say for that the ( screen reader ) user did in fact set the
>  screen reader settings to NOT announce a link "title". I would
>  argue that the user turned off the title announcement setting for a
>  reason, why then should they be forced to listen to a "longdesc" ?

It was my understanding[1] that screen readers supporting longdesc
would (if suitablely configured) inform the user that such a
description existed and allow them to access it by pressing a key
(spacebar in JAWS IIRC).

It would be, IMO, very poor usability to automatically switch to a
different document and start describing an image in what could be many
paragraphs of detail.

[1] I'm remembering this from a conversation quite some time ago, so
please forgive (and correct) any mistakes I might make.