From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Becker, Klaus (LNG-MUE)
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 8:03 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Question about tables

Hello,

maybe my posting belongs to another group (-> xhtml). But it has also a
reference to WCAG-Guidelines.

Ok, I have a question about the use of the elements THEAD, TBODY  and TFOOT.
In the xhtml-dtd the element TABLE is described as followed:

<!ELEMENT table
     (caption?, (col*|colgroup*), thead?, tfoot?, (tbody+|tr+))>

In my opinion, none of the elements THEAD, TBODY  and TFOOT dependent on
another element. I can use every element as "stand alone" element. On some
websites (for example: w3c-schools -> xhtml) it is said, that every element
of those three elements is used with each other of those three elements: The
three Elements can only be used all together and not "stand alone".

But:
In the document "HTML Techniques for WCAG 2.0" explainded the use of those
elements as followed:

> Use thead to group repeated table headers, tfoot for
> repeated table footers, and tbody for other groups of rows.

There is no talk about a reference between those elements.

What is the correct use of the elements THEAD, TBODY  and TFOOT?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Klaus Becker - Senior Developer

LexisNexis Deutschland GmbH
http://www.lexisnexis.de