Re: Calendar markup - review please?

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Marjolein Katsma wrote:

> At 15:27 2004-10-28, Access Systems (Bob) wrote:
> >On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Marjolein Katsma wrote:
> > > Please read the subject of my post. I'm asking about a *calendar*. I'm
> > > asking for a *review*.
> >
> >in Linux using Minicom for web connection
>
> This Minicom: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/minicom/ ?

different version but yes same project

> >and reading the site in LYNX (text browser)  the little calendar at the top
> >is not usable (is it intended to be useable??)
>
> Errm, yes - it is intended to be usable (of course!).

actually after realizing it was supposed to be usable I descovered that
there is a "?" before and after the calendar and clicking on the ? moves
forward or backward to the next month.   clunky but it does indeed work.
something other than a Question mark though might make it easier to catch
the first time thru,

> That said, I realize that Lynx (I have the 2.8.3 Windows version here -
> which I do use to test with) does not support tables but simply shows their
> (linearized) contents. So whatever careful data table markup I come up with
> will fall flat on its face when read with Lynx anyway - not much I can do
> about that, I think. Although Sailesh's idea of using image links for
> "previous" and "next" month might help a little with making clear what the
> links are (no posts for this month, you'd have to navigate back to July or
> earlier to see any of those).

that might work..?!?

> I'm not an expert Lynx user though - does / can it show title attributes
> for any element? ("Today" has a title attribute in the current month's
> calendar - can Lynx ever show that?) Can it show the title attributes on
> the previous / next month links?

?? don't know, I know it occasionally will show a title attribute, but I
don't know how they do it...

> I seem to remember Lynx is capable of showing at least some title
> attributes, but not being an expert user I keep forgetting how. How likely
> is it that a "regular" (but not expert) user of Lynx will ask for title
> attributes to be shown?

hmmmm,  I have used Lynx almost exclusively for many years.  I just like
it's lean architecture.  (and very few advertisments are coded for Lynx)

> (Bob:)
> >but the rest of the site including the dates
> >which are listed vertically on the left side with links that work is quite
> >usable, and in fact very easy (for me) to navigate.
>
> This is good feedback, too, thanks. I did consciously provide several
> different ways of navigating the site (in place even before I left). It
> helps to know some of those work even if others (like the calendar) don't;
> this confirms what I've been able to deduce from visitor statistics (seeing
> some people actually trying out different types of navigation, and indeed
> finding all of them).
>
> Now as long as there is an easy way to find out what's available on the
> site and explore it, I don't think it's too much of a problem if one
> particular navigation instrument (like the calendar) doesn't work with a
> particular user agent (one that doesn't support tables). Frankly, apart

as long as I can get the info off the site I consider it a success, if it
is easy to use that is just icing on the cake.  also means if there is a
choice I will more than likely chose the easier to use.

> from Sailesh's idea of using image links (which would reveal the alt
> attributes in Lynx)  I really wouldn't know how to make that table more
> usable in a browser that doesn't support tables in the fist place - but I'm
> open to more suggestions, of course.

hmmm, if you try it I will try to break it for you

> Have you (anyone?) ever used the Links browser? I understand it's a text
> browser that _does_ support tables but having Windows only I don't have
> access to it.

I haven't tried it although I have vaguely heard of it.

keep up the good work, hope it rubs off on a lot of other sites

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net