  From: Matthew Smith
  To: WAI Interest Group
  Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:21 PM
  Subject: Link Text and Metadata

  Hi All

  I have various programmes that generate (X)HTML content from a database.  I use
  certain fields from the database to create a menu for the collection of pages.
  Everytime I embark on a new project, I revise these programmes in light of
  experience, new techinques developed, etc.  I am in the throes of doing this at
  present and present the following for your consideration:

  At present, a link body is populated from a field specifically for that purpose
  - something as short and simple as possible.  In the title property of the link,
  I put in the title (as would appear in <h1></h1>) of the target page.

  As I also have a set of (Dublin Core) metadata fields in my table, would it be
  more appropriate to use a more extended description of the target page (from my
  DC.Description field) in place of the target page title?

  To give an example:
  Link text = "Contact";
  Target page title = "Contact Us";
  DC.Description = "Contact information for the xyz corporation";

  My thinking is that using the extended description will allow the link to make
  sense, even if taken totally out of context.  Would this, however, create
  confusing clutter?

  Cheers

  Matthew Smith
  Kadina Business Consultancy
  South Australia

  Outside temperature:  22.2 degrees Celcius.
  Wind due South, 12.6km/hr gusting to 15.0km/hr
  Temperatures today (avg/max/min):  13.3/ 30.1/  5.5 degrees Celcius.
  Max wind speed today 17.9km/hr at 09:00
  Precipitation today: 0.000mm