From: "Bart Simons" <bart.simons@ascii.be>
To: "W3c-Wai-Ig@W3. Org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: RE: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

John M Slatin
> when summary="" JAWS does not speak the phrase
> "Table with x columns and y rows" when it encounters the table element.

I am curious with which JAWS version you tested this. 5.0.844 still reads
the table announcement when the value of the summary attribute is set to
null. I can't remember older version performing in another way, but I've not
used them all.

Of course this would be the preferred behaviour and I guess it is not hard
for screenreader vendors to add this feature.

Anyway, announcement of a layout table or not in a screenreader is not a big
accessibility issue in my opinion. I think there are more important things
to draw webmastrr's attention to.

Regards,
Bart