Re: Breadcrumbs

ben.darlow@dyslexic.com wrote:

>I can't help but feel that in either case, having the text 'You are
>here' at the start will only further cloud matters anyway; won't the
>user (especially if using a screenreader) be more likely to interpret
>that as meaning 'You are at the home level of the site' ? Even if not,
>they are likely to find it ambiguous.

I'd say that's up for debate. It's true that some users may well find it
confusing, but I wouldn't say that this will necessarily be the case for
all users. Many users are not as easily confused as we sometimes think...

>To add my tuppence to the separator issue; my personal choice has been
>to use the right arrow  character entity (→) and  hide it with an
>image (Stuart Langridge's image replacement method), but as with other
>character entities this won't work in some earlier browsers.

That still leaves the question of how this character would be read out
by screenreaders (may have to do some testing when I'm back at work,
where I have JAWS installed)

Patrick H. Lauke