Re: Should pdf and doc open alone or inside the browser

On 27 Jul 2004, at 11:06, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Have I understood you right, that you support my position; at least it
> is just a matter of time?

No. To paraphrase my previous email: Given a lack on non-standard http
headers and the correct content type, the browser will handle the file
in whatever way the user has configured it. This might be with a
plugin, it might not be. This is under the user's control and this
preference shouldn't be ignored by authors.

> Microsoft recommends using it:

After the pain I had yesterday trying to copy files from one Windows XP
machine to another Windows XP machine over a network... it isn't a
great idea to mention Microsoft to me.

> Thousands of web developers are using it

Thousands of web developers are using popups.

I never have been impressed by the lemming argument.

> Google when serving files like doc, xls, ppt is probably using it, at
> least the open/save dialog opens when you search for files with those
> extentions.

Google gives plain ol' links to files, and doesn't appear to serve any
doc, xls, ppt or pdf files of its own. This behavour is dependent on
the third party site and the configuration of the end user's browser.

> The browser Opera always seem to use the open/save dialog no matter
> what

User preferences are great (or a browser which just doesn't support the
plugin, but using such a browser is a user choice).

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>